My reflection blog today is about the main elements of
qualitative research and how it relates to my experiences or aspirations.
Qualitative Research
The qualitative research is an approach used to describe
life experience and giving them a meaning or purpose. This type of approach is
commonly used when trying to develop a theory or idea in the beginning stages
of the research process. The main elements of qualitative research being
historical, ethnographic, or narrative research they each have their basis of
importance.
My research effort falls into the concept of ethnographic
research where in-depth analysis of a current problem or process which is
centered amongst common beliefs or values of an organization using the concepts
of Culture of Accountability. My qualitative data research would require an
analysis of case studies or other companies using the Culture of Accountability
to help align my assumptions or expectations of the research.
I may even have to research out to the authors and developers
for information to support the research for developing a research statement, or
hypothesis. I have learned in the past
that those individuals that are subject matter experts are very willing to help
students, and the hardest part was asking.
My experiences
I think as a person, I tend to use a qualitative idea not
only in writing research by in general conversation, especially in topics that
have debate type such as politics, the recent riots, or social reform such as
welfare or even taxes. Those are everyday type of things seen on the news, but
we all have an opinion that we tend to apply some type of qualitative theory or
hypothesis to the situation. I can get
into some pretty opinionated debates with students or my husband, who is just
as well educated and experienced as I am on certain topics, however we have
different views.
The value in my experiences is using the qualitative result
is in writing as it is very easy to veer off and develop many theories about a
topic, which is where I am today in my research. I have to find that medium and
develop a few hypothesis statements that relate to each other and keep it
simple, not allowing the research to overcome my on ideas.
My Aspirations
My hope or aspiration is that I have picked a topic that is not too
difficult to prove with good results. Additionally, there are not aloof available surveys centered around my topic of Culture of Accountability. I hope my efforts in reaching out to the authors of the topic can shed some light on opportunities to research the topic that is simple and concise, without changing my approach multiple times.
Conclusion
The qualitative research is good approach to help a
researcher get started with their proposal. I feel it allows you to look at all
your information available and then make a decision that works for your effort.
As I have learned, a project can have both qualitative and quantitative type
approach to their research. I would think it would be difficult to define that
your research is just one or the other. I have done allot of thinking this week about this concept alone, and I often find myself in circles on a topic. I hope after the future information about quantitative will help me in my endeavors.
No comments:
Post a Comment